Day 3 of #ChronicleKitchen x #ApronSquad Book Week brings us to everybody's favorite meal - BRUNCH. And one of our favorite books to pull recipes from is Huckleberry, who's mouth watering Instagram is enough to convince you to buy the book. Really #notkidding.
For today's recipe, we've gone with these incredible peach squares...because unlike Game of Thrones, SUMMER IS COMING!!!
PEACH SQUARES by Huckleberry Cafe
These are beautifully simple ripe summer peaches on squares of whole-wheat flaky dough. They’re wonderful to throw together if you’re tight on time. Great for breakfast with Whipped Cream or for dessert hot out of the oven with vanilla ice cream. Apricots work just as well as peaches if you prefer. Another twist is to top these with a whole-wheat oat crumble before they go into the oven.
MAKES 10 TO 12 SQUARES
1 batch Whole-Wheat Flaky Dough
5 or 6 ripe peaches, halved, skin on
¼ cup/50 g granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
¼ cup/55 g brown sugar
6 tbsp/85 g unsalted butter, melted
¼ tsp kosher salt
1 batch Egg Wash
• Allow the flaky dough to soften at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the temperature of your house, before rolling. The dough should be cold but malleable.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a 14-in/35.5-cm square, and about an even ⅛ in/3 mm thick. Trim the edges to make them even and slice nine 4-in/10-cm squares (that’s three squares down and three across). Transfer them, evenly spaced, to two greased sheet pans. Press any scraps together and re-roll. You should get at least one more square. If you’re feeling especially efficient, you might get another three.
• In a bowl, toss the halved peaches, granulated sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, and salt until well coated.
• Brush each square with egg wash and place a peach half, cut-side up, on each square. Sprinkle any exposed dough with a little granulated sugar and freeze for 25 minutes.
• Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C. Bake from frozen until a deep golden brown, about 35 minutes. Don’t be afraid of good color. Trust us: Deep golden brown is what you want! Transfer to a cooling rack to keep crisp.
• These are best the day they’re made but keep, tightly wrapped, at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Make sure you check out the Giveaway we're having on Instagram all this week - win an apron & cookbook pairing on us! It's so easy to enter, you just gotta!